Tuesday, September 11, 2012

One person shelter testing and my 13 pound backpack load.

1 comment
A few weeks ago, on a whim, I decided to go for a quick overnight trip to test out my backpacking gear.  I specifically wanted to test out my one person shelter system due to the fact that I have only used it once prior on my trip to Middle Fork in Lytle Creek.  In addition to the gear testing, I also wanted to see how it would be like to backpack alone...I've never done this in the past.

This trip took place at 3PM on a Saturday afternoon after receiving the green light from the wife that I could go.  Since this was to be a short trip, I chose to go to Hoegees Campground once again.  I know I've been there many times but I truly feel safe going there because I have become very familiar with the terrain and the trail itself. Plus it's a few minutes away from my house.

Me at the Upper Winter Creek Trailhead
Total pack weight for this trip was 13.3lbs. which includes food and water along with my gear.  Below is a quick video of the gear I brought with me on this trip.


Finally, the reason why I wanted to go on this trip.  Here's some shots of my one person shelter which is comprised of an 8x8 Guide Gear Tarp and a Do-It-Yourself Bug Bivy

Half Pyramid Pitch with Doors
A look inside with Bug Bivy deployed
Quite roomy for one person
I was really happy with the performance of my shelter, just like a tent, it made me feel secure and I was able to sleep comfortably.  However, if I were to improve one thing, it would be my Bug Bivy setup.  From the picture above, you can see that it has a cinch closure at the head; this system works but it can be a PITA to get in and out at times because the opening can be small.  For now, this system works and I am, as mentioned, happy with the results.  Oh and this was my first trip carrying less than 15lbs and boy what a difference from my regular load out of 18lbs.

Till next time...see you on the trails.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing information that is actually helpful.

    Click Here

    ReplyDelete