Monday, March 26, 2012

An evening with a view

Leave a Comment
This past weekend, I had a chance to spend a night at Henninger Flats with fellow backpackers from a meetup group.  Knowing the possibility of rain on Sunday, I still didn't want to miss this chance hiking up to our home for the evening.


Not being the fittest person in the world, this hike for me was a challenge because of the grade of the terrain.  I was definitely the slowest hiker in the group but this did not discourage me to reach the top.


The start of the trail...
A view of the grade of the trail heading up to Henninger Flats.


Catching up to a group of day hikers and scouts heading up to the same place.


After 2 plus miles, I've made it to the top which it took me a little over an hour...I need to get back into shape.  This was a wake-up call.


Tired and sore but not beaten...this is why I love backpacking, this view was worth it and I quickly forgot about my burning thighs.


My view for the evening...


On a side note, I opted to bring my full tent instead of my tarp because of the threat of rain. Although I missed the rain, I still think I made the right choice...my tarp wasn't seam sealed and if it did rain, I would've have been soaked and I would've been very unhappy.


For those who we're curious about what my tarp setup would have looked like, here are some shots of it deployed at a local park.



 Happy Trails...


0 comments:

Post a Comment